Passed House amended (07/07/2016)
This bill authorizes FY2017 appropriations and sets forth policies regarding the military activities of the Department of Defense (DOD), military construction, and the national security programs of the Department of Energy (DOE).
The bill authorizes appropriations, but does not provide budget authority, which is provided by appropriations legislation.
The bill authorizes appropriations to DOD for:
- Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation;
- Operation and Maintenance;
- Cooperative Threat Reduction;
- Working Capital Funds;
- the National Defense Sealift Fund;
- Chemical Agents and Munitions Destruction;
- Defense-Wide Drug Interdiction and Counter-Drug Activities;
- the Defense Inspector General;
- the Defense Health Program; and
- the National Sea-Based Deterrence Fund.
The bill also authorizes appropriations for Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO), which are exempt from discretionary spending limits. OCO appropriations authorized in the bill support base budget requirements as well as OCO activities.
The bill authorizes the FY2017 personnel strengths for active duty and reserve forces and sets forth policies regarding:
- military personnel;
- compensation and other personnel benefits;
- health care;
- acquisition policy and management;
- DOD organization and management;
- civilian personnel matters;
- matters relating to foreign nations;
- cooperative threat reduction; and
- strategic programs, cyber, and intelligence matters.
The bill authorizes appropriations and sets forth policies regarding military construction; base realignment and closure (BRAC) activities; and DOE national security programs, including the National Nuclear Security Administration. The bill prohibits an additional BRAC round.
The bill includes provisions that affect the application of the Endangered Species Act to the greater sage grouse, the lesser prairie chicken, and the American burying beetle.
The bill also amends the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) to reorganize the UCMJ and revise the procedures and structure of the military justice system.
|Sponsor:||Sen. McCain, John [R-AZ] (Introduced 05/18/2016)|
|Committees:||Senate – Armed Services|
|Committee Reports:||S. Rept. 114-255; H. Rept. 114-840 (Conference Report)|